Saturday, March 20, 2010

Perching Cookies, Little Pies & Flowery Kittens!

Hey Guys,

So this morning I got the urge for some more pastry baking.
I find myself drawn to more to conceptual desserts, than based off of how it's going to taste.
The more unusual (or miniature) the dessert gets, the more I'm interested!

It all started a few moths ago when I spotted this adorable little gingerbread house perched on a side of a mug at not martha.

It is so unbelievably cute, and simply irresistible.
The only problem is I lack the patience and the ability to make sure each one fits absolutely perfectly.
So yeah.
A few weeks later I saw this over at Reader's Digest.
It's official.
Having things perched on the side of (or floating in) your drinks is the cute culinary thing of the moment.
So this morning I decided to finally get around to making my own (way way way simpler) version of this trend.
Basic sugar cookies with your tea.
As usual, by the time I went to get my camera (and to leave them to cool off for a minute or two), all the best ones for perching had mysteriously disappeared.
I ended up making some bird cookies (which I thought would look the best), some angel ones, and a few hearts. I then just cut a slit in the cutout!
Easiest thing ever! (and I can guarantee your visitors will love them!)

After completing these cute cookies, I decided to tackle another backing prject on my to-do list.
Little 'Pielets'.
You know little pies..
These cute little pies were very easy to put together if you have everything prepped from before.

Earlier in the day I had already made the crust [scroll to bottom] and left it to chill in the fridge, and I also had quickly whipped up some crumble topping by mixing some flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon.
For the filling, I rummaged through the fridge and happened to stumble across some pear and lemon jam I had made two weeks earlier after my mum had come home with an insane amount of pears.
That's what I happened to have in the fridge, but I'm pretty sure almost any fruit or jam with the crumble on top will work.

To start things off I just rolled out the pastry, and cut out circles using the top of a mug.
Fitted them in a cupcake tin, and started filling them up with jam!
To test the best combination for future pielets, I decided to make 3 with crust tops, 3 with crumble and crust stars, and the remaining 3 just with crumble topping.
In the oven for 15 minutes, and you have the cutest little dessert!
As these were in the oven, my Mum was doing some gardening outside, and called me over to see the antics that Baby was up to!
Can you spot him?
Playing with leaves...
...and basking in the sun!
Just as this picture was taken, my Mum had moved to the other end of the garden and started raking some fallen flowers, and he was right behind her!
I happened to take this short clip before the sprinklers came on!
Oh and I've been trying to upload the latest vlog for the past two days... this 11 sec clip took 50 minutes... so yeah. Hopefully the internet will pick up tomorrow!

Anyway, sorry for such a long post....
Hope you're all having a great weekend!
Lyla.

No comments:

Post a Comment